Fairport in Monroe County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners
The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners.
The Green Lantern Inn, originally known as the DeLand Mansion, was built in 1876 by Henry DeLand, a local industrialist, for his family.
In 1876, Fairport industrialist Henry DeLand built a mansion for his family on one side of South Main Street and specified aspects of the design of the FIrst Baptist Church on the opposite side.
DeLand made his fortune manufacturing baking soda here in Fairport and lost it in a Florida orange grove freeze in the 1890's. His Second Empire house with a tower, porches, and many fireplaces, was one of the grandest private residences in western New York. After several private owners, including the Clark family, the DeLand Mansion opened as the Green Lantern Inn sometime after 1928 and has served since as a restaurant, speakeasy, rooming house, and banquet hall.
The First Baptist Church,across Main Street, was built at the same time as the DeLand Mansion. The DeLand family donated the rose window and paid more than one-third of the construction cost of the church building, stipulating that the doors of the church and the doors of the
Erected by Erie Canalway National Heritage Corridor & Fairport Office of Community & Economic Development.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1876.
Location. 43° 5.919′ N, 77° 26.503′ W. Marker is in Fairport, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of East Church Street (New York State Route 31F) and South Main Street (New York State Route 250), on the right when traveling west on East Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 East Church Street, Fairport NY 14450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Erie Canal Inn (within shouting distance of this marker); The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street (within shouting distance of this marker); "Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Fairport Village Hall (about 700 feet away); Burying Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Erie Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Land Chemical Co. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Potter Property (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairport.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.