Fairport in Monroe County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street
The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street.
A neighborhood changes with the times.
Pure Oil gas station circa 1960. Hupp Motors circa 1930. Schine's Temple Theater circa 1927. Dr. Tubbs' house and office circa 1910. Church Motors circa 1953.
In the early 1930's, due to financial problems, the owners of the Green Lantern Inn sold the front portion of the property to Pure Oil Company, who built the little white gas station building, which is a rare example of its type and is also considered historic. The building has served as a dry cleaners, a real estate office, and the Slocum-Lauder Insurance Agency.
The DeLand Christian Center, next door to the church, was once the site of Hupp Motors which sold Fords and Lincolns and provided gas and repair service.
Schine's Temple Theater was built in 1927 at a cost of $175,000. The Italianate 60Ft. x 150 ft. building with a 15ft. x 30ft. stage was advertised as "absolutely fireproof". With the advent of television, movie-going habits changed and the local theaters could not compete. The theater was sold to the Fairport Masonic Lodge in 1958 for $30,000.
In the 1950's and 1960's, Church Motors, sellers of Dodge automobiles, stood at the corner of Pleasant and South Main Streets.
Erected by Erie Canalway Heritage Corridor & Fairport Office of Community & Economic Deveopment.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 43° 5.958′ N, 77° 26.524′ W. Marker is in Fairport, New York, in Monroe County. Marker is at the intersection of South Main Street (New York State Route 250 at milepost 4.6) and Pleasant Street, on the left when traveling north on South Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 84 South Main Street, Fairport NY 14450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners (within shouting distance of this marker); Erie Canal Inn (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); "Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal (about 400 feet away); Fairport Village Hall (about 400 feet away); Old Erie Canal (approx. 0.2 miles away); De Land Chemical Co. Burying Ground (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Potter Property (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairport.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 86 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.