Fairport in Monroe County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Fairport Village Hall
Fairport Village Hall
The timeless sentinel of South Main Street.
Fairport Municipal Building circa 1908. Fairport Municipal Building circa 1933.
The Village Hall, or Municipal Building, was built in 1906 as Perinton's Town Hall at a cost of approximately $20,000. Town offices were on the first floor, the jail was in the basement, and the village leased space on the second floor. Also on the second floor was an auditorium used for public meetings and movies.
After being sold to the village in 1931, the interior of the building was renovated, two palladian arches over the second floor windows were removed, and the tower was replaced. An addition was constructed for a new jail and a firehouse. Since the early 1980's, the Fairport Police Department has occupied the first floor of the addition, and village offices the remainder of the building.
Erected by Erie Canal National Heritage Corridor & Fairport Office of Community & Economic Development.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 30 Village Landing, Fairport NY 14450, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Old" South Main Street Yields to Urban Renewal (a few steps from this marker); Old Erie Canal (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); The 20th Century Comes to South Main Street (about 400 feet away); De Land Chemical Co. (about 500 feet away); The DeLand Family Develops Fairport's Four Corners (about 700 feet away); Erie Canal Inn (about 800 feet away); Spice Mill (approx. 0.2 miles away); Burying Ground (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fairport.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 38 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2018, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.