YRF-4C Phantom II
First entering service in 1960, the McDonnell F-4 Phantom I was designed as a U.S. Navy fleet defense fighter, and was soon adopted by the U.S. Air Force as a fighter-bomber. RF-4 Phantoms also proved capable high performance reconnaissance aircraft. The F-4 was the first multi-service aircraft, flying concurrently with the U.S. Navy, Air Force and Marine Corps. It also flew concurrently with the Blue Angels and the Thunderbirds demonstration teams. F-4 Phantoms served extensively in the Vietnam War, and RF-4s served as recently as Operation Desert Storm.
Average Cost: $2 million each
Normal Range: 840 mi.
Max Range: 1,750 mi.
Engines: 2- General Electric J79-GE-15 turbojets 10,300 lbs. of thrust 17,000 lbs. w/ afterburner
Wing Span: 38 ft. 5 in.
Fuel: 5,329 gal. max. 1,994 gal. internal 3,335 gal. externals
Length: 63 ft.
Height: 16 ft. 6 in.
Wing Area: 530 sq. ft.
Weapons: RF-4 originally unarmed; capable of carrying nuclear weapons and later armed with missiles for self defence.
Weight Empty: 28,276 lbs.
Max. T/O Weight:58,000 lbs
Normal Cruise: 587 mph.
Service Ceiling: 59,400 ft.
The History of YRF-4C, s/n 62-12201
Manufactured by McDonnell Aircraft, St. Louis, MO as YRF-10A Spectre. Redesignated RF-4C
1963, 30 September - Gained by the USAF and retained by manufacturer. 1st flight.
1966, January - To General Electric, Lockbourne AFB, OH for J79 engine development.
1967, December - To General Electric, Edwards AFB, CA.
1972, June - To McDonnell Aircraft, St. Louis (deployment to Eglin AFB, FL.
1978, June - To Chanute Technical Training Center (Air Training Command), Chanute AFB, IL as GRF-4C,
1985, May - Dropped from inventory by transfer to museum status.
Current Paint Scheme
YRF-4C, s/n 62-12201, displayed here is painted and marked in a green generic camouflage scheme seen on USAF F-4s during the Vietnam War.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Military.
Location. 29° 35.287′ N, 90° 43.229′ W. Marker is in Houma, Louisiana, in Terrebonne Parish. Marker is on Barrow Street (State Highway 182) near Margaret Street, on the right
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Saint Francis de Sales Church (approx. half a mile away); Terrebonne Parish Courthouse Square Oaks (approx. 0.6 miles away); 1834-1934 (approx. 0.6 miles away); A History of Terrebonne Parish (approx. 0.7 miles away); When Oysters Were King (approx. 0.7 miles away); Bayou Terrebonne (approx. 0.7 miles away); The Grand Dérangement / Le Grand Dérangement (approx. ¾ mile away); New Acadia / Nouvelle Acadie (approx. ¾ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houma.
More about this marker. Located at the Regional Military Museum
Also see . . . Regional Military Museum. (Submitted on March 26, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 128 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2018.