Tylertown in Walthall County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Conerly's P.O. and Lampton's Store
In June 1848, Benjamin Lampton and his brother-in-law Cullen Conerly established a post office here in Lampton's mercantile business. Situated on Dry Creek between Conerly's Mill and Tyler's Mill, the store and post office served as the social center of the community for more than a half century. Conerly's became Tylertown in 1879.
Erected 1995 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Postal Mail and Philately series list.
Location. 31° 7.133′ N, 90° 8.339′ W. Marker is in Tylertown, Mississippi, in Walthall County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Bilbo Street, on the right when traveling east on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tylertown MS 39667, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Founders Cemetery (approx. Ό mile away); Walthall County Training School (approx. 3.4 miles away); Simmons House China Grove Methodist Church (approx. 7.9 miles away); Holmesville (approx. 11.2 miles away); Holmesville Cemetery (approx. 11½ miles away); Creation of Pike County (approx. 11.6 miles away); Old Pike County Chancery Clerk's Office (approx. 11.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tylertown.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 157 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 26, 2018.