Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Eden in Concho County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Eden United Methodist Church

 
 
Eden United Methodist Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
1. Eden United Methodist Church Marker
Inscription.  The first Eden schoolhouse was erected in 1885, and itinerant preachers who stopped to give sermons in the schoolhouse attracted people of all faiths. A community Sunday school met in the building for several years. The first Methodist Sunday school was formed in 1901 in the home of Mr. and Mrs. J.E. Williams, who lived northeast of Eden in the Maverick community. The Eden Methodist Church, south, is said to have been organized about 1904.

The Community Ladies’ Aid Society, consisting of members of all faiths, helped raise funds for a Baptist church building erected in 1905. The Methodists met in the building until they could erect their own house of worship. The Methodist congregation purchased a house for use as a parsonage in 1907; it housed circuit-riding preachers until the Rev. G.E. Glasspool became the Methodist church’s first full-time pastor the following year.

The Methodist church erected its own building in 1909. Alterations and additions were made as the congregation grew. In 1923 the Lutheran church held services in the Methodist building. Upholding the ecumenical spirit of cooperation of Eden’s early days.
Eden United Methodist Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
2. Eden United Methodist Church
Mrs. Hixie Crump Potter, a charter member, turned the first spade of soil at the groundbreaking of a new church building in March 1948. The first service in the new sanctuary was held on Easter Sunday, 1949.

Church membership grew, and the congregation thrived. At the dawn of the 21st century, the congregation continues in the traditions of its founders with programs of worship and service.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12350.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 31° 13.103′ N, 99° 50.535′ W. Marker is in Eden, Texas, in Concho County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of E. Bryan Street and Smith Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Eden TX 76837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eden Church of Christ (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pioneers Rest Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eden (approx. ¼ mile away); James Earl Rudder (approx. 0.3 miles away); On April 21, 1836 (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Ira C. Eaker (approx. 0.3 miles away); First Baptist Church of Eden (approx. 0.3 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eden.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 27, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 93 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 27, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 14, 2020