Columbia in Marion County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
Mississippi Rural Center
The Mississippi Rural Center was dedicated on February 9, 1949, and established with a $100,000 gift from the Women's Society of Christian Services of the Methodist Church. Created to provide opportunities for African American families, the center offered religious, social, medical, and educational programs to the Community of Lampton and surrounding areas. It was first directed by Rev. Isaac C. and Athelda Pittman, both graduates of Alcorn A & M College.
Erected 2016 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Churches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 31° 11.565′ N, 89° 47.876′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Mississippi, in Marion County. Marker is at the intersection of Rural Center Road and State Highway 13, on the left when traveling south on Rural Center Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Columbia MS 39429, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within Gov. Hugh L. White Mansion (approx. 4.1 miles away); Birthplace of Mississippi Rodeo (approx. 4.2 miles away); Hanging of Will Purvis (approx. 4.6 miles away); Temporary State Capital (approx. 4.6 miles away); First Baptist Church (approx. 4.7 miles away); Ford House (approx. 5 miles away); Ford Home (approx. 12.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2018.