Eden in Concho County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
First Baptist Church of Eden
The Eden Church had a membership of 16 in 1891 and grew quickly thereafter. In May 1905 church trustees bought the land on this site from W.A. and M.J. Ballard. Many local citizens who were unaffiliated with the Baptist church contributed to the erection of a frame building. By 1906 the church had 75 members and it continued to grow. Additional wings and a belfry were added in 1912. Ministers performed baptisms at Brady Creek south of Eden at a water tank on the Ballard land as late as 1916.
Church organizations included the Ladies Aid Society, later called Women’s Missionary Union; Sunbeams, a children’s program; a young women’s association; Red
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12349.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 13.076′ N, 99° 50.853′ W. Marker is in Eden, Texas, in Concho County. Marker is at the intersection of Burleson Street and Garden Avenue, on the left when traveling north on Burleson Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 Burleson St, Eden TX 76837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Eden Church of Christ (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); On April 21, 1836 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinity Lutheran Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Eden (approx. ¼ mile away); James Earl Rudder (approx. ¼ mile away); General Ira C. Eaker (approx. ¼ mile away); Eden United Methodist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pioneers Rest Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eden.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.