Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Eden in Concho County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Trinity Lutheran Church

 
 
Trinity Lutheran Church Marker image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
1. Trinity Lutheran Church Marker
Inscription.  Several German Lutheran families from Mills County migrated to Concho County shortly after the turn of the 20th century. These pioneers maintained close ties with their former congregations. The Rev. Franz Walther of Mills County conducted irregular services in the Lapp schoolhouse near the community of Live Oak beginning in 1913. In 1916 the Rev. Ludwig W. Karcher began preaching at Menard and was asked by Willie Pax of Live Oak to come and preach in the area. On October 29, 1916, settlers came to the Lapp schoolhouse from all over Concho County to hear the Rev. Mr. Karcher’s sermon. They asked the minister to return on a regular basis. The congregation began with about 44 members. In 1917, they moved services to Eden, meeting in private homes and in the facilities of other Christian denominations. Eventually the parsonage became a house of worship.

The Rev. Mr. Karcher and his wife made Eden their home in 1919. He began conducting religious education classes. A church constitution was adopted in 1921. In 1923 the parsonage was the site of the first Central Texas Pastoral Conference. A frame chapel was erected beside the parsonage
Marker near Trinity Lutheran Church image. Click for full size.
By Duane Hall, March 23, 2018
2. Marker near Trinity Lutheran Church
View to east from W. Broadway Street
in 1925. The Eden and Menard churches became a self-sustaining dual parish in 1928.

The church has been led by many dedicated pastors; one became president of the Texas district and another served as president of the Lutheran Church, Missouri Synod. The congregation chose this site in 1946 for a new church and parsonage. The church was dedicated in 1950. Prolonged drought in the 1950s caused many to leave west Texas, causing a decline in church membership. By 1957, however, hope was renewed for both the parish and the area at large. Trinity Lutheran Church continues the traditions of its founders.
 
Erected 2000 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 12540.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
 
Location. 31° 12.972′ N, 99° 51.01′ W. Marker is in Eden, Texas, in Concho County. Marker is at the intersection of W. Broadway Street (U.S. 87) and Mason Street, on the right when traveling east on W. Broadway Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 728 W Broadway St, Eden TX 76837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Baptist Church of Eden (approx. 0.2 miles away); On April 21, 1836 (approx. ¼ mile away); Eden (approx. 0.3 miles away); James Earl Rudder
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Eden Church of Christ (approx. 0.3 miles away); General Ira C. Eaker (approx. 0.3 miles away); Pioneers Rest Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); Eden United Methodist Church (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Eden.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 80 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on March 28, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 7, 2020