Newburyport in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Newburyport Firehouse Center
This historic building, built as a Markethouse and Lyceum by the citizens of Newburyport in 1822, served as the Central Fire Station from the mid-1800s until 1980. A cooperative effort by the public and private sectors has restored the structure as a center for the arts and public events so that it will continue to serve the community for generations to come.
City of Newport
Mayor Peter J. Matthews
Commonwealth of Massachusetts
Governor Michael S. Dukakis
Society for the Development of the Arts and Humanities
Thomas G. Ambrosi, President
dedicated to the future of Newburyport December 1990
Erected 1990 by City of Newport, Commonwealth of Massachusetts, Society for the Development of the Arts and Humanities.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Charity & Public Work • Man-Made Features • Notable Buildings.
Location. 42° 48.704′ N, 70° 52.22′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1 Market Square, Newburyport MA 01950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Watts' Cellar (within shouting distance of this marker); Market Square Tea Burning (within shouting distance of this marker); Coast Guard Bicentennial Marker (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Newburyport Sailor's Memorial (about 700 feet away); The Memory of the Officers and Men (about 700 feet away); William Lloyd Garrison (approx. 0.2 miles away); Dalton House (approx. ¼ mile away); The 1873 Train Wreck (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newburyport.
Also see . . .
1. Newburyport Firehouse Center History.
Link to a recently updated, professional video presentation on the history of the Newburyport Town Meeting Hall & Firehouse. It includes many historical photographs and details. (Submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. History of The Firehouse Center.
The historic building that houses the Firehouse Center for the Arts was built as a market house and lyceum by the citizens of Newburyport in 1823. As such, it hosted such distinguished speakers as Ralph Waldo Emerson, Daniel Webster and Oliver Wendell (Submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 130 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.