Newburyport in Essex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Historic 1893 Newburyport Train Station
A domed Victorian train station was built in 1893 behind where the Winter Street condominiums stand today. At the time, there were 32 trains traveling to Boston every day. The station operated for 75 years and was destroyed by fire on May 2, 1968.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 42° 48.676′ N, 70° 52.621′ W. Marker is in Newburyport, Massachusetts, in Essex County. Marker is on Washington Street west of Winter Street, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located near the sidewalk where the Clipper City Rail Trail crosses Washington Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 40 Washington Street, Newburyport MA 01950, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The 1873 Train Wreck (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); William Lloyd Garrison (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Bartlet Mall (approx. ¼ mile away); Within Lie Buried (approx. ¼ mile away); Bombshell (approx. ¼ mile away); Watts' Cellar (approx. 0.3 miles Newburyport Firehouse Center (approx. 0.3 miles away); Market Square Tea Burning (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newburyport.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Clipper City Rail Trail
Also see . . . Newburyport Station History.
The Eastern Railroad's original Newburyport station was located in downtown Newburyport, near Washington Street. Opened in 1840, it was a small wooden structure with a two-track train shed. It was replaced by a larger brick station just to the north in March 1854. The 1854 station was destroyed by fire on March 3, 1892; a large brick structure with a turret was constructed on the same spot. (Submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 231 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on March 28, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.