Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Friendship Firehouse

City of Alexandria Est. 1749

 
 
Friendship Firehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, March 30, 2018
1. Friendship Firehouse Marker
Inscription.  In an 18th century town of mostly wooden buildings, where open flames provided heat, light and cooking on a daily basis, Alexandrians constantly faced the danger of fire. Water to fight fires had to be carried in buckets from nearby wells, town pumps, or creeks. Early fire apparatus allowed water to be hand-pumped and sprayed into a building or onto its roof, hopefully preventing it from spreading to the houses next door. However, the engines were not very powerful and had to be pulled by hand to the fire by hard-working volunteers.

The Friendship Fire Company was established in 1774 as the first firefighting organization in Alexandria, and their equipment was stored at Market Square. As Alexandria grew, other fire companies formed, and Friendship moved a new firehouse on Alfred Street that survives today as the Friendship Firehouse Museum, one half block south. Volunteers of Friendship, Sun, Relief, Hydraulion and other local fire companies served the city faithfully for decades, particularly during enormous blazes in 1827, 1855, 1871, and 1922. Over time, as buildings grew taller, the old volunteer companies were replaced by a paid
Friendship Firehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, March 30, 2018
2. Friendship Firehouse Marker
professional fire department.

The Friendship Firehouse was built in 1855 and subsequently remodeled in 1871, when a huge steeple was replaced by a lower cupola, topped with a firefighter weathervane. In 1992, the Friendship Veterans Fire Engine Association gifted the building to the City of Alexandria, and it is now open to the public.
 
Erected by City of Alexandria.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Charity & Public WorkDisasters. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, The City of Alexandria series list.
 
Location. 38° 48.319′ N, 77° 2.96′ W. Marker is in the Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of King Street (Virginia Route 7) and South Alfred Street, on the right when traveling east on King Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 900 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Barrett Library / Black History Museum (a few steps from this marker); Friendship Fire Company (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bayne-Fowle House (about 400 feet away); Original Site of Immanuel Lutheran Church
Friendship Firehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, March 30, 2018
3. Friendship Firehouse Marker
(about 500 feet away); Dr. Bernard Stier, O.D. (1930-2005) (about 500 feet away); Site of Alexandria's First Sugar Refinery (about 500 feet away); Welcome to Christ Church (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Historical District.
 
Also see . . .  Friendship Firehouse Museum. (Submitted on April 2, 2018.)
 
Friendship Firehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Jones, March 30, 2018
4. Friendship Firehouse Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 89 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 3, 2020