Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Retail in Alexandria
City of Alexandria Est. 1749
By the early 1850s, more than thirty Jewish families, most from Germany, had moved to Alexandria seeking dignity, freedom and fortune in America. These new immigrants were all involved in the retail trade, selling clothing, shoes, dry goods and scrap in small shops and emporiums along King Street and its adjacent side streets. Within several years of migrating to Alexandria, the close-knit community had formed a Literary Society, Hebrew burial ground and two congregations for worship—one reform, one Orthodox. By 1871, a permanent temple was constructed in the 100 block of North Washington Street, and the newly hired Rabbi began delivering his sermons in English. Temple Beth El served Alexandria's Jewish community at this location for 84 years.
Among the many Jews who succeeded in Alexandria was Joseph Hayman (born Hait) and his descendants who maintained a 90-year retail dynasty in the city, starting out with a small variety shop at 188 North Royal Street and ending with Hayman's legendary store for ladies wear.
Erected by City of Alexandria.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce Virginia, The City of Alexandria series list.
Location. 38° 48.294′ N, 77° 2.763′ W. Marker is in the Historical District in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on King Street west of Saint Asaph Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 604 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. George Washington in Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Timberman Brothers (within shouting distance of this marker); Lee-Fendall House (within shouting distance of this marker); Franklin P. Backus Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); George Washington Memorial Parkway (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Alexandria Lyceum (about 300 feet away); The Methodist Episcopal Congregation of Alexandria (about 300 feet away); Marshall House (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Historical District.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 90 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 31, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.