Alexandria, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Ramsay House
Built Circa 1724
It was purchased by the City in 1944 to prevent its demolition. The Alexandria Historical Society, Inc. was then authorized by the City Council to undertake the restoration. The work was commenced through gifts by the Alexandria Association and public spirited citizens.
In 1955 the City Council appropriated funds to complete the restoration.
The City Council:
Leroy S. Bendheim, Mayor; Joseph M. Pancoast, vice mayor; James M. Duncan, Jr., councilman; John J. Ewald, councilman; Frank E. Mann, councilman; John T. Ticer, councilman; F. Clinton Knight, councilman
City Manager, Ira F. Willard
Architect for Restoration, Milton L. Grigg
Builder, Eugene and Clarence Simpson
Hunting Creek Garden Club
Location. 38° 48.276′ N, 77° 2.539′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Virginia. Marker is on King Street east of North Fairfax Street, on the right when traveling west. On the side of the Ramsay House that faces the courtyard. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 221 King Street, Alexandria VA 22314, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named The Ramsay House (here, next to this marker); Col. John Fitzgerald (a few steps from this marker); Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary Museum (a few steps from this marker); Stabler-Leadbeater Apothecary (within shouting distance of this marker); Home of George Gilpin 1740-1813 (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Alexandria (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlyle House Historic Park (within shouting distance of this marker); The Port City (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Categories. • Notable Buildings •
More. Search the internet for The Ramsay House.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 5, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 1, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 3 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 1, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.