Pembroke in Merrimack County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
The waters of Suncook River were harnessed in the 1730’s, eventually powering saw and grist mills, forge shops, and paper mills. The first cotton factory, owned by Major Caleb Stark, was built here in 1811. By 1900, Pembroke Mill, Webster Mill, and China Mill employed more than 1,500 workers, mostly recruited from the Province of Quebec, to make 35 million yards of cotton cloth each year. Suncook's commercial center, built of native brick and granite, attained its present appearance by 1886. It is one of the best-preserved small manufacturing villages in New Hampshire.
Erected 2003 by State of New Hampshire. (Marker Number 187.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 43° 7.901′ N, 71° 27.166′ W. Marker is in Pembroke, New Hampshire, in Merrimack County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Union Street, on the left when traveling north on Main Street. Marker is located Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 160 Main Street, Suncook NH 03275, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George M. Lamiette Square (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Suncook Connection Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Josie Langmaid (approx. 1.1 miles away); Portsmouth & Concord Railroad (approx. 1.7 miles away); First Meeting House (approx. 1.8 miles away); Pembroke Street / Watering Trough (approx. 2 miles away); 1790 Milestone (approx. 2.3 miles away); Robert Frost in Allenstown / Buck Street Mills (approx. 3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pembroke.
Also see . . . Suncook, New Hampshire.
The village of Suncook formed along the falls of the Suncook River, which drops 70 feet in one-half mile just before joining the Merrimack River. Much of the center of the village is occupied by 19th-century factory buildings which once used the river's energy for hydropower. The buildings have now largely been converted to other uses. (Submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 3, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 165 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 2, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.