Sterling City in Sterling County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Sterling County Jail
This two-story jail building was constructed in 1912, twenty-one years after the organization of Sterling County. Built by the Southern Structural Steel Co., it is located on property deeded to the county by Mr. and Mrs. R. C. Stewart. Stone for the exterior was quarried locally. The interior includes a downstairs living area for the sheriff and seven cells on the upper floor. An addition to the rear was completed in the 1960s.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5114.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1912.
Location. 31° 50.152′ N, 100° 59.294′ W. Marker is in Sterling City, Texas, in Sterling County. Marker is on Elm Street north of 3rd Street, on the right when traveling north. Marker and Texas Historical Medallion are located on a pole at the northwest corner of the Sterling County Jail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 609 4th Avenue, Sterling City TX 76951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 6 other markers are Sterling County (within shouting distance of this marker); State Hotel – First State Bank (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Concho, San Saba & Llano Valley Railroad Station (approx. half a mile away); Town of Cummins (approx. 1.8 miles away); Montvale (approx. 3.3 miles away); Camp Elizabeth (approx. 9.2 miles away).
Regarding Sterling County Jail. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark (1980)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Sterling County Courthouse & Jail
Credits. This page was last revised on April 5, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 109 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 3, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.