Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Palmyra in Fluvanna County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fluvanna County Courthouse

 
 
Fluvanna County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
1. Fluvanna County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  The Fluvanna County Courthouse is one of the few in the state to retain its original configuration. Fluvanna County was formed from part of Albemarle County in 1777 with the county seat located on the southeast side of the Rivanna River. In 1828 Palmyra was selected as the new county seat, and the present courthouse was erected in 1830 by the Reverend Walker Timberlake and John Hartwell Cocke of nearby Bremo. Cocke also prepared the plans for the stone jail, built in 1828, which now houses the Fluvanna County Historical Society’s museum.
 
Erected 1986 by Department of Conservation and Historic Resources. (Marker Number F-49.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Government & Politics. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1777.
 
Location. 37° 51.657′ N, 78° 15.817′ W. Marker is in Palmyra, Virginia, in Fluvanna County. Marker is at the intersection of James Madison Highway (U.S. 15) and Courthouse Road (Virginia Route
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
601), on the right when traveling north on James Madison Highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Palmyra VA 22963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Former Early Court Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Clerk's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Former Bank of Fluvanna (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Central High School (about 300 feet away); Former Palmyra General Store (about 300 feet away); Old Stone Jail (about 300 feet away); Site of L.O. Haden Office Building (about 400 feet away); Commemorating (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Palmyra.
 
Also see . . .
1. Fluvanna County Historical Society. (Submitted on September 19, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
2. Fluvanna County Courthouse Historic District. (Submitted on September 19, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.)
 
Fluvanna County Courthouse Marker--wider view image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
2. Fluvanna County Courthouse Marker--wider view
Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
3. Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse
The Bench in the Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
4. The Bench in the Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse
Balcony and rear of Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
5. Balcony and rear of Historic Fluvanna County Courthouse
The new Fluvanna County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Roger Dean Meyer, August 29, 2008
6. The new Fluvanna County Courthouse
Signage at the courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), September 4, 2021
7. Signage at the courthouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 19, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota. This page has been viewed 1,509 times since then and 101 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on September 19, 2008, by Roger Dean Meyer of Yankton, South Dakota.   7. submitted on September 5, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11591

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 18, 2024