William Morris House
William Morris married his second wife, Patsy Hillian, on October 5, 1831. The couple had a son in 1835 when Morris was 74 years old.
William Morris, a Revolutionary War veteran, came to Montgomery County in 1806, He bought a 20-acre farm near Centerville in 1815 and moved into this house with his family. With no daughters in the family, they employed an African American female servant to help with the many domestic chores, a common practice at the time.
Historically, the first floor was divided into three rooms. he stone floor was originally made of wood planks with a root cellar below. Carillon Park created the opening in the ceiling in 1953 to allow a view of the second floor and roof construction.
Built circa 1815 on West Social Row near Centerville, Ohio.
Erected by Warren E. and Thelma L. Snyder.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 39° 43.707′ N, 84° 12.017′ W. Marker is in Dayton, Ohio, in Montgomery
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Hetzel Summer Kitchen (here, next to this marker); This Sun Dial (a few steps from this marker); Newcom House (a few steps from this marker); Newcom Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Dayton Triangles Locker Room (within shouting distance of this marker); Deeds Barn (within shouting distance of this marker); Culp's Cafe (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old River Park Swimming Pool Light Tower (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dayton.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 6, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. This page has been viewed 185 times since then and 40 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 6, 2018, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.