Alexandria in Rapides Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
The James Wade Bolton House
When Alexandria was first surveyed as a town in 1805, this site was one-half block south of the public square. In 1899, James Wade Bolton, one of the prominent Alexandria banking family, acquired this property. The house is exemplary of the Queen Anne Revival architecture in Louisiana. Showing traditional regional influences, such as long leaf yellow pine framing and a raised on-pier foundation, it features twice the number of principal rooms usually found in such fine residences. Additional features include fifteen foot ceilings, oak paneling, an extravagant use of windows, and an expansive curving front veranda supported by Ionic columns. Directly across St. James Street was the house of his father, George Washington Bolton, a pioneer financier and patriarch of the Bolton family in Central Louisiana. In 1979, the Bolton house was donated to the city of Alexandria by the Bolton family as a center for regional arts and crafts. At that time it was renamed "River Oaks Square."
Erected 1987 by Central Cities Development Corporation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsSettlements & Settlers.
Location. 31° 18.602′ N, 92° 26.522′ W. Marker is in Alexandria, Louisiana, in Rapides Parish. Marker is on Main Street (Louisiana Route 1208-4) north of St. James Street, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1330 Main Street, Alexandria LA 71301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Arna Wendell Bontemps Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Alexandria Daily Town Talk / Old Courthouse Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Commercial Building (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pinckney Benton Stewart Pinchback (about 700 feet away); Huie Dellmon House (about 700 feet away); Alexander Fulton Park (about 800 feet away); Post-Civil War Alexandria (about 800 feet away); Alexandria (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alexandria.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 7, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 172 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 7, 2018.