Kensington in Montgomery County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Photos of Historic Kensington
2. c. 1949 3758 & 3762 Howard Avenue These buildings were renovated to house shops and studios on Antique Row.
3. c. 1930 The Kensington Volunteer Fire Department [Courtesy KVFD]. Volunteer fire fighters began organizing in 1894, and stored their equipment in various barns until they were able to move into the rear of the Armory in 1927. They moved to their present location on Connecticut Avenue at Plyers Mill Road in 1947.
4. c.1940 Howard Avenue has served as the commercial area in Kensington since the town began. The buildings have housed various businesses, and in the 1960s, Howard Avenue began to develop into Antique Row.
5. 1977 The Noyes Library at 10237 Carroll Place was established by Brainard Warner and Crosby Noyes in 1893 to serve Kensington residents. The oldest public library in the Washington, DC, area, it later was converted into a children's library within the Montgomery County Library system and is partly supported
6. 1927 Dedication of the National Guard Armory at 3710 Mitchell Street. It housed the National Guard, the Fire Department, and then the Motor Vehicle Administration. It was purchased from the state and has been the Kensington Town Hall since 1976.
7. c. 1901 10123 Connecticut Avenue A new Warner Memorial Presbyterian Church takes the place of the earlier one.
View Walking Tours at www.kensingtonhistory.org
Erected by Kensington Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings • Railroads & Streetcars.
Location. 39° 1.691′ N, 77° 4.629′ W. Marker is in Kensington, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Connecticut Avenue (Maryland Route 185) north of Knowles Avenue, on the right. Marker is on the grounds of Kensington Shopping Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10504 Connecticut Avenue, Kensington MD 20895, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dedicated To Those From Kensington Who Served Their Country In The Armed Forces (approx. ¼ mile away); Millstone From Alfred Ray's Property Garrett Park, MD (approx. one mile away); Garrett Park, Md. (approx. 1.1 miles away); Garrett Park Waiting Room (approx. 1.2 miles away); "The Linden Oak" (approx. 1.4 miles away); The Expansion of the Seminary (approx. 1½ miles away); Ament Hall (approx. 1.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kensington.
More about this marker. Unfortunately, the photo of Kensington B & O Railway Station is currently unavailable.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 19, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 8, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 153 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 8, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 6, 7. submitted on April 11, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 8. submitted on April 8, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. 9. submitted on April 11, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.