The Borough of Quakertown was originally settled as Richland and the Great Swamp by members of the Society of Friends in the early 18th century. It was part of William Penn's original land holdings, a 1,000 acre tract called the Manor of Richland.
As a crossroad village with a tavern, it soon became a stopover for stagecoaches and commercial traffic between Allentown and Philadelphia. Quakertown was the site of the Fries Rebellion in 1799, and was part of the Underground Railroad. Although it was the core of an extensive community of Welsh and German farmers, the village center remained quite small until the mid-nineteenth century.
A Railroad Community
By 1820, Quakertown contained approximately twelve dwellings. The construction of the North Pennsylvania Railroad (now the Reading Railroad) in 1855 spurred growth in the area.
By the late 1860's, an unincorporated village known as Richland Centre sprung up around the railroad station and by 1880 the town had a population of nearly 1,800 people. The combination of the railroad and national economic expansion following the Civil War changed Quakertown from a tiny village
Hiding the Liberty Bell
As the Revolutionary War raged, the Liberty Bell found safe haven in Quakertown on its way to Allentown. In 1777, the Continental Congress had decreed that the bell be moved before the British melted it down for ammunition.
On September 18, 1777, six days after the Liberty Bell left Philadelphia, it was stored overnight behind Evan Foulke's house at Liberty Hall near the corner of Broad and Main Streets. The next day it continued on its journey to Allentown to be hidden for the remainder of the Revolutionary War.
A Place of National Significance
The Quakertown Historic District was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 2011. Quakertown has a broad range of architectural styles including Colonial, Federal, Greek Revival and Italianate all built before the Civil War, and Victorian after the Civil War. The District has some buildings listed separately on the National Register such as Liberty Hall and the Enoch Roberts House.
[Photo captions, from top to bottom, read]
• Burgess Foulke House, 26 N. Main Street.
• Liberty Hall, 1235 W. Broad Street.
• Trolley House, 108 E. Broad Street.
Erected by PA
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Patriots & Patriotism • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1799.
Location. 40° 26.741′ N, 75° 20.32′ W. Marker is in Quakertown, Pennsylvania, in Bucks County. Marker is on Mill Street east of 4th Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker kiosk is along the Krupps Park Trail. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 West Mill Street, Quakertown PA 18951, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quakertown Alive! (here, next to this marker); Mid-Atlantic Highlands (here, next to this marker); War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Replica of the Liberty Bell (approx. ¾ mile away); The Fries Rebellion of 1799 (approx. ¾ mile away); Richard Moore (approx. 0.9 miles away); VFW Post 3405 Veterans Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away); VFW Post 3405 Vietnam Memorial (approx. 5.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Quakertown.
Also see . . .
1. History of Quakertown Borough. (Submitted on April 9, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Quakertown National Register Historic District Registration Form. (Submitted on April 9, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 144 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2018, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.