Lakewood School - 1928
Oswego's population was barely 1,200 when Lakewood School was built....by 1878 it had passed the 20,000 mark and the school was no longer capable of supporting the population. In 1979, the Lakewood Community Theatre, now dba Lakewood Center for the Arts raised $600,000 of private funding to purchase the building from the school district.
The main facade of this building has been carefully preserved by the Lakewood Center, while converting the interior to contemporary use for the performing and visual arts. This is the oldest public building in continuous use in Lake Oswego.
Erected 1997 by Oswego Heritage Council.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Education.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Iron Company Worker's Cottage (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Rogers House - 1929 (about 400 feet away); Old Town (about 600 feet away); Murphy Real Estate Building - 1940 (approx. 0.2 miles away); Green Street (approx. ¼ mile away); The Durham Mill (approx. ¼ mile away); Salamander (approx. ¼ mile away); Oswego Landing (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Oswego.
Also see . . . Lakewood School, Circa 1928 (City of Lake Oswego). Links to the school's Cultural Resources Inventory and Historic Resources Survey forms. (Submitted on April 9, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 10, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 14 times this year. Last updated on April 10, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.