Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark
Governor W.P. Hobby appointed Lutcher Stark to the Texas Board of Regents in 1919. He served for 24 years, including 12 as chair. He was awarded honorary doctoral degrees by Baylor University and Southwestern University (Memphis, TN) in the 1930s, and was recognized in the University of Texas Longhorn Hall of Honor in 1958.
Lutcher Stark collected art, rare books and other historical items, many of which he donated to Orange's Stark Museum of Art and to the University of Texas. He established
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13021.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Arts, Letters, Music • Charity & Public Work • Industry & Commerce.
Location. 30° 5.555′ N, 93° 44.17′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on Sixth Street north of Main Avenue, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Henry Jacob Lutcher (here, next to this marker); History of Rotary International (here, next to this marker); History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club (a few steps from this marker); Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (within shouting distance of this marker); Ever Changing Landscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); W.H. Stark House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The City of Orange (about 300 feet away); William Henry Stark (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker. Located in the Stark Park
Credits. This page was last revised on December 22, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2018.