Formed from Jefferson County
Created February 5, 1852
Organized March 20, 1852
Named for the fruit grown in the district since the earliest settlements near the mouth of the Sabine River.
County Seat, Madison, 1852
Named changed to Orange
February 6, 1858.
Erected 1936 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11505.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list.
Location. 30° 5.396′ N, 93° 44.188′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on West Division Street near Seventh Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 801 West Division Street, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Historical Sketch of Orange County (within shouting distance of this marker); Orange County and the Civil War (within shouting distance of this marker); Jimmy Ochiltree Sims Home (about 500
More about this marker. Located on the Orange County Court House lawn.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 141 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2018.