Littleton in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
This building was graced with the first church bell and spire in town. Built in 1850 on the site of the Old Red Store, a pioneer tavern, the church was dedicated on January 8, 1851. A Greek Revival portico with two fluted Doric columns was replaced with the pilastered façade and Palladian window in 1888, when the church was elevated to provide new meeting space. Stained glass by Redding and Baird of Boston was added in 1901. This was the first permanent home for Methodists who had been meeting since 1800.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. 44° 18.379′ N, 71° 46.255′ W. Marker is in Littleton, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Main Street (New Hampshire Route 302) east of Pleasant Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is a metal plaque mounted at eye-level directly on the subject building. Marker is mounted on the front left (i.e., southeast) corner of the building, facing Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 18 Main Street, Littleton NH 03561, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking Tilton's Opera Block (a few steps from this marker); Jax Jr. Cinemas (within shouting distance of this marker); Harrington Block (within shouting distance of this marker); Littleton Stamp & Coin Co. (within shouting distance of this marker); Eames Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Salomon Block (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Chutter Block (about 300 feet away); Rounsevel Building (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Littleton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Littleton, New Hampshire Historic Buildings
Credits. This page was last revised on December 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 88 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.