Lake Charles in Calcasieu Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
St. Charles Academy
The original site of St. Charles Academy was the northeast corner of Ryan and Kirby, part of the Roman Catholic complex of church, convent and school destroyed in the Great Fire of 1910. Opening in 1882, St. Charles Academy was staffed by the Sisters of the Marianites of the Holy Cross. In 1913, this site in the Margaret Place subdivision was selected for a new St. Charles Academy. The Sisters constructed a raised two- story, red brick building designed by the New Orleans firm of Favrot and Livaudais. The school served all students until the Immaculate Conception Elementary School opened in 1950, with St. Charles Academy serving as a high school and boarding school for girls from all over Southwest Louisiana. In 1970, St. Charles Academy, Landry Memorial High School, and Sacred Heart High merged to form St. Louis Catholic High School. The St. Charles building no longer saw students, but served as a convent for the remaining Marianite Sisters. The Academy building, much of it disused, was condemned and demolished in the spring of 1974.
Erected by Calcasieu Historical Preservation Society.
Topics. Churches & Religion • Education.
Location. 30° 13.159′ N, 93° 13.16′ W. Marker is in Lake Charles, Louisiana, in Calcasieu Parish. Marker is at the intersection of Ryan Street (State Highway 385) and Seventh Street/Dr. Michael Debakey Drive, on the right when traveling south on Ryan Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1536 Ryan Street, Lake Charles LA 70601, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within one mile of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lake Charles High School Kilties (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lost Railroad Stations (approx. 0.3 miles away); Captain Daniel Johannes Goos (approx. half a mile away); Lake Charles 9/11 Memorial (approx. half a mile away); The Arcade Theatre and Miller Building, the Paramount and the Weber Building (approx. 0.6 miles away); Christian Science (approx. 0.6 miles away); Louisiana Baptist Orphanage (approx. 0.7 miles away); 44th Air Refueling Squadron (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake Charles.
Also see . . . Lost Landmarks of Lake Charles. (Submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 14, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 14, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 106 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 14, 2018.