History of Orange, Texas Rotary Club
The Orange, Texas USA Rotary Club was admitted to Rotary International on 1 June 1919. Its first President was H.J.L. Stark. Mr. Stark, together with other influential members of the City of Orange, believed that the community would benefit from being a part of the service and humanitarian efforts of the national organization. Club meetings were initially held in the Holland Hotel in downtown Orange, and other locations have been utilized over the years.
Over the next few decades, the Orange Rotary Club grew both in numbers and in its influence within the larger Rotary community. Mr. Stark provided leadership at the State of Texas regional level, and eventually served as a Director and Vice-President of Rotary International. Club members have effectively contributed their time and talents at the District level, including District Governors J. Neal Miller (1960-1961), Barney Morris (1982-1983) and Jim Stelly (1988-1989).
Rotary's presence continued to grow in Orange County with the addition of two new Clubs sponsored by the Orange Club. The Vidor, Texas USA Rotary Club was chartered in 1970, and the Bridge City, Texas USA Rotary Club
During Rotary's Centennial Year of 1 July 2004 - 30 June 2005, the Orange Club is home to over 100 Rotarians who carry out Rotary's motto of "Service Above Self." That motto is put into practice within the Four Avenues of Service. Club Service includes providing for informative and interesting meeting programs, encouraging the growth in numbers and participation of Club members, and ensuring good communications within and outside of the Club. Community Service activities include awarding scholarships for local high school students, and providing financial and volunteer support for other community groups, such as literacy outreach and food for needy persons. Vocational Service recognizes persons who have made significant achievements in their business or professions. International Service involves the local Club in a variety of service programs sponsored by Rotary International, such as the Group Student Exchange, Ambassadorial Scholarships, and the Rotary Foundation.
The Rotary Club of Orange, Texas USA is proud of its heritage and looks forward to meeting the opportunities and challenges that future years might bring as its members continue to put "Service Above Self" in their personal or business environments.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. A significant historical date for this entry is June 1, 1919.
Location. 30° 5.558′ N, 93° 44.174′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker can be reached from Seventh Street near West Green Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 201 7th Street, Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. History of Rotary International (here, next to this marker); Henry Jacob Lutcher (a few steps from this marker); Henry Jacob Lutcher Stark (a few steps from this marker); Leonard Frederick Benckenstein (within shouting distance of this marker); Ever Changing Landscapes (within shouting distance of this marker); The City of Orange (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); W.H. Stark House (about 300 feet away); William Henry Stark (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
More about this marker. Located in Stark Park.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 15, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 261 times since then and 44 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 15, 2018.