The Ozona Stockman
The newspaper was published by later owners as the "Enterprise," "Courier," and "Optimist." When County Judge Charles E. Davidson purchased the operation in 1913, he changed the name to "Ozona Stockman" to reflect the important role of cattlemen and the ranching industry in the development of Crockett County and the surrounding area.
W. Evart White took over as publisher and editor in 1926. A native of Tom Green County, he had served on newspaper staffs in Austin, San Angelo, San Antonio, and Cuero before purchasing the "Stockman." Under his leadership the content and format of the paper were changed to match the style of leading daily publications. In 1941 White directed the work on an 88-page special edition. Printed in honor of Crockett County's 50th anniversary, it was considered a major achievement for the staff of a weekly paper.
Erected 1980 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5393.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications.
Location. 30° 42.652′ N, 101° 12.101′ W. Marker is in Ozona, Texas, in Crockett County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue E and 10th Street, on the left when traveling west on Avenue E. Marker is located on the side of the Ozona Stockman building facing 10th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1000 Avenue E, Ozona TX 76943, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Ozona National Bank (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Lancaster C.S.A. (within shouting distance of this marker); William Mozart McVey (within shouting distance of this marker); David Crockett (within shouting distance of this marker); Crockett County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crockett County Courthouse (about 400 feet away); Ozona's First Water Well (about 400 feet away); Old Ozona Hotel (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ozona.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. This page has been viewed 225 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. 2. submitted on May 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.