Erie in Erie County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erie Steam Bakery
This building erected 1894 by owners W.J. Sands & Sons to expand bakery which continued until 1919. Durico Paper Co. located here 1938-1984. Site of Judah Colt House where General Lafayette visited in 1825. Building renamed Lafayette Place in 1985.
Erected 1985 by Historic Square Properties & North Coast Corp.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1842.
Location. 42° 7.909′ N, 80° 5.113′ W. Marker is in Erie, Pennsylvania, in Erie County. Marker is at the intersection of French Street and East 4th Street, on the right when traveling south on French Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 400 French Street, Erie PA 16507, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At Lafayette Visit (here, next to this marker); O'Donnell House (within shouting distance of this marker); Colt Way (within shouting distance of this marker); Historic Erie Flagpole (within shouting distance of this marker); Boston Store Livery & Garage (within shouting distance of this marker); Don't Give Up the Ship (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cashier's House (about 400 feet away); Horace Greeley (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Erie.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 353 times since then and 78 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.