'The Boars Head' which was built' in 1605. It survived the Great Fire of London in 1666. This was because the property was of stone and brick whereas the surrounding neighbouring premises were of wood
In approx 1700 the S.G. Mooney & Son brewery chain of Dublin, Ireland purchased 'The Boars Head' and it became the first Irish pub outside Ireland. It was fitted out in traditional Irish style which included a clock by Thomas Tompion (1638-1713, 67 Fleet Street) which was later stolen, now replaced with a replica. The pub also became the first pub outside Ireland to have bottled Guinness and later draft.
1918 at the end of the Great War the printers who came back from the war had the pubs name changed to 'The Tipperary' from the song 'It's a Long Way', which name it remains to this day. The name 'The Boar's Head' was retained to the first floor bar.
Greene King purchased 'The
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1300.
Location. 51° 30.846′ N, 0° 6.456′ W. Marker is in City of London, England. Marker is at the intersection of Fleet Street and Whitefriars Street, on the right when traveling west on Fleet Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 66 Fleet Street, City of London, England EC4Y 1HT, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Anti-Corn-Law League (here, next to this marker); Two Famous Clockmakers (here, next to this marker); The Daily Express (within shouting distance of this marker); Bolt Court (within shouting distance of this marker); All the Year Round, conducted by Charles Dickens (within shouting distance of this marker); St. Dunstan's Court (within shouting distance of this marker); The Standard (within shouting distance of this marker); Ye Olde Cheshire Cheese (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of London.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 16, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 15, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. This page has been viewed 107 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 15, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 2. submitted on April 16, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California.