Near Brady in McCulloch County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
East Sweden Presbyterian Church
The East Sweden community was settled in the late 1880s by Swedish immigrants who had originally established homes in Williamson County. By 1889 twelve families had relocated here and built homes. Most of the settlers were Lutherans, and they held worship services in their homes.
In 1890 a traveling Presbyterian minister, the Rev. J.A. Irvine, came to East Sweden and conducted worship services. The settlers agreed to become Presbyterians, and a congregation was organized by the Rev. Mr. Irvine and twelve charter members. A sanctuary was built on this site in 1892, and continued to serve the congregation until it was destroyed in a windstorm in 1916.
The church members met in the schoolhouse until this structure was built in 1921. Exhibiting handsome features and quality craftsmanship, the East Sweden Presbyterian Church has become a local landmark. Outstanding features of the vernacular church structure include its hip-on-hip wooden shingled roof, Gothic-arched windows, boxed eaves, and projecting portico with boxed columns. The congregation continues to uphold the traditions of its Sweden founders.
Erected 1989 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1367.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1889.
Location. 31° 9.999′ N, 99° 15.408′ W. Marker is near Brady, Texas, in McCulloch County. Marker can be reached from County Road 414 south of County Road 412, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Brady TX 76825, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Swedish Settlers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Onion Creek Indian Fight (approx. 0.8 miles away); Soldiers Waterhole (approx. 1.9 miles away); Curtis Airfield (approx. 3.8 miles away); Rochelle Depot (approx. 5 miles away); Union Passenger Depot (approx. 5 miles away); McCulloch County Courthouse (approx. 5.1 miles away); General Ben McCulloch, C.S.A. (approx. 5.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brady.
Also see . . . East Sweden, TX. From the Texas State Historical Association’s “Handbook of Texas Online”. (Submitted on April 16, 2018.)
1. The church has been lost
The 101-year-old church was destroyed by fire on Sunday, March 20, 2022. Arson is suspected in the blaze.
— Submitted March 21, 2022, by James R Griffin, III of Brady, Texas.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 212 times since then and 82 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 16, 2018, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.