City of London in Greater London, England, United Kingdom
The Daily Courant
In a house
near this site was
published in 1702
The Daily Courant
first London daily
Erected by City of London Corporation.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Communications. In addition, it is included in the UK, England, City of London Corporation series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1702.
Location. 51° 30.854′ N, 0° 6.241′ W. Marker is in City of London, England, in Greater London. Marker is at the intersection of Ludgate Hill and Farringdon Street on Ludgate Hill. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12 Ludgate Circus, City of London, England EC4M 7LQ, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Edgar Wallace (within shouting distance of this marker); The Old Bell (within shouting distance of this marker); Ludgate (about 120 meters away, measured in a direct line); The Palace of Bridewell (about 150 meters away); Samuel Pepys (about 150 meters away); Sunday Times Premiere Issue T.P. O’Connor (about 180 meters away); Bradbury & Evans (about 180 meters away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in City of London.
Also see . . . The Daily Courant (Wikipedia). "The Daily Courant, initially published on 11 March 1702, was the first British daily newspaper. It was produced by Elizabeth Mallet at her premises next to the King's Arms tavern at Fleet Bridge in London. The newspaper consisted of a single page, with advertisements on the reverse side. Mallet advertised that she intended to publish only foreign news and would not add any comments of her own, supposing her readers to have "sense enough to make reflections for themselves."...After only forty days Mallet sold The Daily Courant to Samuel Buckley, who moved it to premises in the area of Little Britain in London, at "the sign of the Dolphin". Buckley later became the publisher of The Spectator. The Daily Courant lasted until 1735, when it was merged with the Daily Gazetteer." (Submitted on April 17, 2018.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 17, 2018, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Lamorinda, California.