Bethlehem in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Site of Sinclair Hotel
In 1857, John Sinclair a N.H. politician built a small, but well kept 8-10 room tavern and inn. In succeeding years, it was enlarged and enlarged again to a capacity of 350 guests. It was the second largest hotel in the area and boasted a huge porch that stretched the length of the hotel. U.S. Grant stayed at the Sinclair in 1869. The hotel burned down in 1978.
Erected by Bethlehem Redevelopment Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list.
Location. 44° 16.806′ N, 71° 41.278′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street (U.S. 302) and Agassiz Street (New Hampshire Route 142), on the right when traveling east on Main Street. Marker is located in the vacant lot at this intersection, under a town sign and near a gazebo. Marker is overlooking the site of the former Sinclair Hotel. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bethlehem NH 03574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Town Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sinclair Lodge (about 400 feet away); Jodo Karate (about 500 feet away); Angel of the Mountains (approx. 0.2 miles away); Pierce Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Alderbrook (approx. 3.3 miles away); Kilburn Brothers (approx. 4.3 miles away); Salomon Block (approx. 4.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
More about this marker. Marker is weathered and somewhat difficult to read.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Sinclair Hotel
Also see . . .
1. Sinclair House.
(This link presents historic pictures of the Sinclair Hotel, as well as the full story and other information.)
One of the largest Grand Hotels in Bethlehem was the Sinclair House. John H. Sinclair, who recognized the possibility of boarding business’s for summer visitors, built it in 1857 and ran it until he sold it in 1870. Many guests came to the hotel to enjoy the clean air. Bethlehem had acquired the reputation of being a haven for those suffering from asthma and hay fever. Guests could spend their days sitting on the large porch surrounding the front of the hotel, men reading newspapers and women sewing and talking to friends (Submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Sinclair Hotel.
During the modern era, the owners of the New Agassiz Hotel, Louis Michnoff and Dora Spiwack, purchased the Sinclair Hotel in 1937. The property now included the Sinclair Hotel, the Agassiz Hotel, and the adjoining Fairlawn Hotel. The Sinclair Hotel (Submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Hotel Memories.
Then there was the Sinclair Hotel. A line of tall cedars blocked your view into the hotel grounds: their private swimming, tennis courts and play fields, but you could hear announcements made over their loudspeakers to guests lounging around the pool and music piped as well. The Sinclair was the largest hotel in town. The four Story Giant was built so close to the sidewalk that it sometimes cast a shadow over the whole street. A long porch extended from each side of the four 30ft columns of the main entrance filled with guests “people watching” from their wicker stations. (Submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 118 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 4. submitted on April 17, 2018. 5. submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 6, 7. submitted on April 18, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.