Bethlehem in Grafton County, New Hampshire — The American Northeast (New England)
Built as a Congregational Church in 1877 by the founding group of eight members, the building became the Maplewood Lodge I.O.O.F. in 1940. It has also served as the Rebekah Lodge. A beautiful three faced clock kept village residents apprised of the correct time for generations. In 1997, the building was purchased and renovated for the purpose of teaching the ancient art of Bushido. This art involves the spiritual part of karate which teaches connecting with the mind, body and spirit.
Erected by Bethlehem Redevelopment Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Sports. A significant historical year for this entry is 1877.
Location. 44° 16.881′ N, 71° 41.222′ W. Marker is in Bethlehem, New Hampshire, in Grafton County. Marker is on Maple Street (New Hampshire Route 142) 0.1 miles north of Main Street (U.S. 302), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located near the street, in front of the subject Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 42 Maple Street, Bethlehem NH 03574, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town Building (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Site of Sinclair Hotel (about 500 feet away); Sinclair Lodge (about 800 feet away); Angel of the Mountains (approx. ¼ mile away); Fanny’s Little Playhouse (approx. 2.4 miles away); Frances Glessner Lee (approx. 2.4 miles away); Pierce Bridge (approx. 2.9 miles away); Alderbrook (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bethlehem.
More about this marker. Marker is somewhat weathered and difficult to read.
Also see . . . Bethlehem Heritage Society: Churches.
(This link includes a photograph of the Congregational Church as it looked in 1877.)
Early history indicates that a Baptist Church was formed in 1800, a Congregational Church in 1802 and a Free Will Baptist Church in 1813. The first edifice devoted to religious purposes in Bethlehem was built by the Congregationalists and Methodists around 1825. In 1831, the Methodists erected a church of their own and it was on the site of the present Methodist church. The Congregationalists resigned their church in 1853 and had their services on alternate Sundays at the Methodist Church. When the Congregationalists were using the Methodist church the building was materially renovated and improved. It continued as a Union Church for quite some (Submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 98 times since then and 12 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 17, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.