Christ Church Cathedral
The second Episcopal parish in the Republic of Texas. Led by a missionary of the Episcopal Church in the United States, the Rev. R.M. Chapman, and by an early Houstonian, Col. William Fairfax Gray, thirty-nine men came together on March 16, 1839, to organize an Episcopal Church, and on Easter Monday, April 1, 1839, Christ Church was officially established. Some of the first services were held in the Capitol of the Republic, then at the corner of Main Street and Texas Avenue.
In 1844 a wooden building on this site served as a church. In 1846 it was supplanted by a brick structure. In 1859 a second brick church was begun, then enlarged in 1876. Present building was erected in 1893, its altar area rebuilt after a fire in 1938. The original cornerstone may be seen inside the church.
Founded under the Rt. Rev. Leonidas Polk, missionary bishop, and often visited by his successor, the Rt. Rev. George Washington Freeman, the parish was guided and nurtured by the Rt. Rev. Alexander Gregg, first bishop of the Diocese of Texas, and by the Rt. Rev. George Herbert Kinsolving, second bishop. It became in 1949 the Cathedral of the Diocese
Erected 1972 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 10631.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 45.568′ N, 95° 21.683′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Texas Avenue, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located on the ground to the right of the main entrance to the cathedral. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1117 Texas Ave, Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Christ Church Cathedral (a few steps from this marker); San Jacinto Street (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Busy Corners (about 400 feet away); Former Site of Capitol, Republic of Texas (about 500 feet away); Site of the Organization of Lady Washington Chapter, NSDAR (about 600 feet away); Site of Capitol of the Republic of Texas (about 600 feet away); Republic Building (about 600 feet away); State National Bank Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 152 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. 3, 4. submitted on September 29, 2019, by J. Makali Bruton of Querétaro, Mexico. 5. submitted on April 18, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.