First United Methodist Church of Houston
As Houston grew, the congregation prospered, and plans were developed to build a new church. In 1907, the Texas Avenue property was sold, and First Methodist Episcopal Church South opened its doors in 1910 at the corner of Main and Clay streets. In 1939, the name changed to First Methodist Church and in 1968 to First United Methodist Church. In 1992, the congregation approved a plan to establish a second campus. The Westchase Congregation began worship in 1993 and opened a worship center in 1999.
This congregation’s commitment to local, national and worldwide
Erected 2009 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15922.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 29° 45.256′ N, 95° 22.053′ W. Marker is in Houston, Texas, in Harris County. Marker is on Main Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1320 South Main Street, Houston TX 77002, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. 1,000 Houstonians Join the Navy (approx. 0.2 miles away); Antioch Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 0.3 miles away); Julia Ideson Building (approx. 0.3 miles away); Houston Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Site of the home of A.C. and Charlotte M. Allen (approx. 0.4 miles away); West End Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gulf Building (approx. 0.4 miles away); Kress Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Houston.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 19, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 160 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 18, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.