Ozona's Water System
As a result of Ozona's rapid growth by 1900, Judge Charles E. Davidson organized locally-owned "Ozona Improvement Company." The business drilled more wells and laid a pipeline in town. This hilltop, a familiar site of windmills and sprawling storage tanks, was called "Waterworks Hill." In a few years power equipment was added to provide electricity and ice. A municipal water district was formed in the late 1930s under the guidance of Joe North.
Ozona has not suffered from a decrease in its water supply during times of drought. Its water system utilizes the vast underground limestone
Erected 1979 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3898.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 30° 42.739′ N, 101° 11.831′ W. Marker is in Ozona, Texas, in Crockett County. Marker is on Water Works Drive, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ozona TX 76943, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Crockett County Jail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ozona's First Water Well (approx. 0.2 miles away); Old Ozona Hotel (approx. ¼ mile away); Crockett County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Ozona Junior High School (approx. ¼ mile away); Crockett County (approx. ¼ mile away); David Crockett (approx. ¼ mile away); William Mozart McVey (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ozona.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 29, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 108 times since then and 10 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 19, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. 2. submitted on May 27, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.