Augusta in Woodruff County, Arkansas — The American South (West South Central)
Woodruff County Courthouse
Thomas Hough, founder of Augusta in 1848 built his home on this location before the Civil War. During the Federal occupation Gen. Frederick Steele headquartered here. Woodruff County was created in 1861, bought the Hough house in 1870 and used it as a courthouse until 1901. The present courthouse was built in 1902 on part of its foundation and used its entire north wall.
On Dec 22, 1982, the U.S. Department, of Interior placed it on The National Registry of Historic Places.
Erected 1998 by the Augusta Sesquicentennial Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil.
Location. 35° 17.262′ N, 91° 21.897′ W. Marker is in Augusta, Arkansas, in Woodruff County. Marker is on North 3rd Street north of Spruce Street, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Woodruff County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Augusta Presbyterian Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Woodruff County Presbyterian Church (about 500 feet away); Augusta Memorial Park (approx. 0.2 miles away); Chickasaw Crossing (approx. 0.3 miles away); City of Augusta (approx. 0.4 miles away); "It Was a Hard Little Fight" (approx. 4.8 miles away); Action at Fitzhugh's Woods (approx. 4.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Augusta.
Also see . . . Wikipedia article on the Woodruff County Courthouse. (Submitted on April 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 20, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 111 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2018, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.