Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
The grand building before you is home to the headquarters of The State University of New York (SUNY).
Founded in 1948, SUNY is the largest comprehensive system of public higher education in the United States. Among the system's 64 schools there is a diverse array of institutions, including research universities, community colleges, liberal arts and technical colleges, and health science centers.
SUNY took stewardship of this landmark building, originally built as the headquarters of the Delaware & Hudson Railroad and the Albany Evening Journal newspaper, in the 1970s.
A feature that cannot be seen from the street is a bust of President Theodore Roosevelt.
The original intent was that head be placed in a visible position, after TR had a falling out with Albany political boss William “Billy” Barnes, the bust was moved to a less prominent place. It was restored after this photo taken in 1998 by John G. Waite Associates, Architects.
Though this Flemish Gothic-style building appears to be centuries old, it was constructed between 1914 and 1918.
SUNY Plaza is adorned with a wealth of design features that pay homage to Albany's long history. Those that can be seen from the street include the carved beavers along the fifth story of the north wing, harkening to the city's beginnings as a prominent fur-trading center, as well as the state and city seals near the top of the central tower.
The weathervane at the top of the central tower is replica of the Half Moon.
Rising 225 feet in the air, the copper ship is nearly 7 feet long and 9 feet tall. It was designed by the building's architect, Marcus T. Reynolds, and has been atop the tower since 1915. SUNY restored it in the 1970s.
An inscription on the ship reads, "Within a few yards of this spot, Hendrick Hudson, on Sept. 22, 1609, terminated his voyage of discovery."
Erected 2016 by Albany Cultural Heritage and Tourism Partnership, New York State Museum, Downtown Albany and SUNY.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Communications • Education • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #26 Theodore Roosevelt series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1948.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 353 Broadway, Albany NY 12207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Declaration of Independence Centennial Memorial (here, next to this marker); Albany - Capital of New York 200 Years (here, next to this marker); Second Albany City Hall (here, next to this marker); Site of First Poor House in the United States (within shouting distance of this marker); Henry Hudson (within shouting distance of this marker); Building A Place to Live (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); 1st Telephone Central Office in New York State (about 600 feet away); Fort Orange (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Regarding SUNY Plaza. National Register of Historic Places (1972)
Also see . . .
1. Delaware & Hudson and Albany Evening Journal Buildings.
Few Railroads companies have built headquarters for themselves that could be taken for a state capitol, but that is exactly what some visitors to Albany assume the Delaware & Hudson (Submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Building History.
It was here that several of Albany's earliest city halls sat, along with the New York State Legislature in the 18th century. The Albany Plan of Union in 1754, presided over by Ben Franklin, was held here. This land was once along the Hudson River's banks, over time being infilled, including in 1911 as part of the construction of the Plaza. The city of Albany purchased and consolidated the land ownership that allowed the D&H to build the building and the city to have a park in front. Public access was allowed to the Hudson River through the central tower and by way of an underground tunnel to the other side of the D&H tracks (Submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Historic photos: Albany's riverfront.
(This link presents many historic photographs of the building and surrounding area.)
Not far from the Delaware & Hudson building, now State University of New York System Administration, stood a harbor and pier that housed the Albany Yacht Club until 1954, according the club's history. The harbor was filled in in the late 1950s, leaving the boathouse landlocked until its eventual demolition (Submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 189 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 21, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on April 24, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.