Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
A City of Outstanding Historical Significance
The city of Albany is home to six National Historic Landmarks and more than 4,000 properties listed on the New York State and National Register of Historic Places.
In 2015, Albany was designated a Preserve America Community by President Obama in recognition of the city's outstanding stock of historic resources and efforts made at national, state, and local levels to preserve Albany's history for future generations.
1. James Hall Laboratory
James Hall (1811-1898), “The Father of Paleontology" and first director of the NYS Museum, lived and worked in Albany from 1843 to 1898. His laboratory, built in 1852, is at the north edge of Lincoln Park and was designed by renowned architects Andrew Jackson Downing and Calvert Vaux.
2. Schuyler Mansion Historic Site
The Schuylers were among Albany's founding families. Built by Gen. Philip Schuyler between 1761 and 1765, the mansion hosted a stream of high-profile guests, including George Washington and Alexander Hamilton, who was Schuyler's son-in-law. Hamilton married Elizabeth Schuyler at the mansion in 1780.
3. USS Slater
4. New York State Capitol
Built between 1867 and 1899, the New York State Capitol was, at $25 million, the most costly building ever constructed in the country by that time. Incorporating the designs of several prominent architects and hundreds of stone carvers, the building is an unusual amalgam of distinct architectural styles.
5. St. Peter's Church
Built between 1859 and 1876, this is the third church on this site, with the earliest dating to 1704. Designed by British-born architect Richard Upjohn and his son, Richard M. Upjohn, the building includes many noteworthy stained-glass windows and gargoyles, and its 180-foot tower is considered "one of the most elaborate and impressive of the decorated French Gothic on the continent."
6. Fort Orange Archaeological Site
Built by the Dutch in 1624, Fort Orange was the first permanent European settlement in New York State. The Fort’s location near the crossroads of the Hudson and Mohawk Rivers made it the most important center of diplomacy and trade between the Dutch colonists and Native peoples in northeastern America. More than 20,000 artifacts were collected from the site during salvage excavations undertaken in 1970-1971.
Erected 2016 by Albany Cultural Heritage and Tourism Partnership, New York State Museum, Downtown Albany and SUNY.
Location. 42° 39.005′ N, 73° 45.166′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of North Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) and State Street (New York State Route 5), on the right when traveling south on North Pearl Street. Marker is a composite plaque, mounted on a waist-high pole, in a small corner garden at the southeast corner of the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 10 North Pearl Street, Albany NY 12207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Philip Livingston (a few steps from this marker); Lydius Corner (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Martin Van Buren Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); The Albany Academy (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); An English Neighborhood (about 400 feet away); St. Peter's Church (about 400 feet away); 1st Telephone Central Office in New York State (about 600 feet away); Historic State Street (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Forts, Castles • Notable Places • Science & Medicine •
More. Search the internet for A City of Outstanding Historical Significance.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. This page originally submitted on April 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 114 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 22, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.