Liberty in Liberty County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
In May 1831, an ayuntamiento (city council) was elected; also the first alcalde (mayor), Hugh B. Johnston. This city government was dissolved that same year by Juan D. Bradburn, the garrison commander of Anahuac.
The north portion of present city hall was constructed, 1939; the south part, 1959.
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 9680.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places.
Location. 30° 3.561′ N, 94° 47.832′ W. Marker is in Liberty, Texas, in Liberty County. Marker is on Travis Street south of Trinity Street, on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in front of the Liberty City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1829 Sam Houston Street, Liberty TX 77575, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance Casa Consistatorial (Courthouse Square) (within shouting distance of this marker); Col. Edward Bradford Pickett (within shouting distance of this marker); The Seven Courthouses of Liberty County (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Captain William M. Logan (about 300 feet away); Liberty County (about 400 feet away); Sam Houston's Law Office (about 500 feet away); Plaza de Carcel y Casas de Correccion (about 500 feet away); Sam Houston in Liberty County (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Liberty.
Credits. This page was last revised on January 6, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 22, 2018, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. 2. submitted on January 6, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Atascocita, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.