Albany in Albany County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
First Church in Albany (Reformed)
designed by Philip Hooker
Erected 1947 by New York State Department of Education.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 42° 39.212′ N, 73° 45.02′ W. Marker is in Albany, New York, in Albany County. Marker is at the intersection of North Pearl Street (New York State Route 32) and Orange Street, on the right when traveling south on North Pearl Street. Marker is located at the northeast corner of the church, next to the building. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 110 North Pearl Street, Albany NY 12207, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Herman Melville (a few steps from this marker); Patroon Street (within shouting distance of this marker); B. Lodge & Company (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); United Traction Company Building (about 600 feet away); Lincoln Mourned (about 600 feet away); Albany Pump Station (about 800 feet away); Railroads (about 800 feet away); Union Station (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Albany.
Regarding First Church in Albany (Reformed). National Register of Historic Places (1974)
Also see . . .
1. The First Church in Albany.
The North Pearl Street Dutch church was opened in 1798 and replaced the old structure which was torn down in 1806. By that time, a second Reformed congregation was serving the south side of a booming city. Other Reformed churches followed in other parts of the city but the North church serves today under the banner of the First Church in Albany! (Submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. First Church in Albany (Reformed).
The First Reformed Church, also known as First Church in Albany or North Dutch Church was established in 1642 to serve the Dutch inhabitants of Fort Orange, the adjacent village of Beverwyck, and the patroonship of Rensselaerswyck in general. It is the second oldest congregation in the state of New York, and the oldest upstate. The current church, designed by Philip Hooker, is the fourth building and the oldest church in Albany. The pulpit was imported from (Submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. First Church History.
(This link presents many historical photographs of the church.)
Founded in 1642, First Church is the oldest church in upstate New York. The Dutch fur trading post of Fort Orange was incorporated as Beverwijck ("Beaver Town") in 1652 and named Albany in 1664, after the English seized the Dutch colony of New Netherland and renamed it New York. Albany was chartered as a city in 1686 and made state capital in 1797. (Submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 126 times since then and 41 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 23, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. 7. submitted on April 25, 2018. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.