Catskill in Greene County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Burns-Curran Maintenance Facility
Rip Van Winkle Bridge
This building honors the loyalty and dedication of Edward J. Burns and Aloysius H. Curran.
As newly hired toll collectors they were on duty at this bridge when it opened on July 2, 1935.
In 43 subsequent years of service, "Mr. Burns" rose to the position of Chief Operating Officer of the New York State Bridge Authority, in which capacity he served for more than 22 years.
In 41 years of service, "Switch" Curran became the manager of the Rip Van Winkle Bridge, A post he held for 16 years.
Together they represent outstanding examples and models for all those who devote their lives to the service of the people of New York State and the Hudson Valley.
Erected by New York State Bridge Authority.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Bridges & Viaducts. A significant historical date for this entry is July 2, 1935.
Location. 42° 13.464′ N, 73° 51.334′ W. Marker is in Catskill, New York, in Greene County. Marker can be reached from New York State Route 23 0.4 miles east of Spring Street, on the right when travelingTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 99 New York Highway 23, Catskill NY 12414, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Cross Here and Save Time (here, next to this marker); 90th Anniversary of Rip Van Winkle Bridge (within shouting distance of this marker); Catskill Walking Tour (approx. 0.4 miles away); Railway Bridge (approx. 0.7 miles away); The World War (approx. 0.7 miles away); Stone House (approx. 0.8 miles away); Uncle Sam Bridge (approx. 0.8 miles away); Uncle Sam (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Catskill.
Also see . . . The Rip Van Winkle Bridge.
In 1991, a new maintenance facility was built behind the administration building with the same Dutch-colonial architecture as the main building. The new maintenance building was dedicated to Edward Burns and Aloysius Curran, original toll collectors at the "Rip" who worked for the Bridge Authority for over 40 years each. (Submitted on April 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 27, 2019. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 139 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 25, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.