Gold Hill in Jackson County, Oregon — The American West (Northwest)
Safety Follows Wisdom
Portland Cement Association
Safety Trophy Awarded
Ideal Cement Company
Gold Hill, Oregon For a
Perfect Safety Record in 1959
Erected by Portland Cement Association.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the "Safety Follows Wisdom" Portland Cement Association Safety Trophies series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1931.
Location. 42° 26.188′ N, 123° 5.182′ W. Marker is in Gold Hill, Oregon, in Jackson County. Marker can be reached from Sams Valley Hwy (Route 99). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Gold Hill OR 97525, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Rock Point Hotel (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rock Point Bridge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Rock Point, Oregon (approx. 0.4 miles away); City of Gold Hill (approx. 1.9 miles away); The Salmon Ceremony at Ti'lomikh Falls (approx. 2.2 miles away); a different marker also The Salmon Ceremony at Ti'lomikh Falls (approx. 2.3 miles away); Dardanelles (approx. 2.4 miles away); Valley of the Rogue Applegate Trail Kiosk (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gold Hill.
More about this marker. Marker is located in Rock Point Cemetery.
Regarding Safety Follows Wisdom. The Beaver Portland Cement Company began operations of their Gold Hill cement plant in 1914 and was the largest single industrial enterprise in Southern Oregon at the time. The plant later became the Ideal Cement Company. The plant operated until 1968. A power plant was later built on the Rogue River a short distance upstream from Gold Hill. The plant supplied power for the cement company, as well as providing electricity to light city streets. The deserted cement company power plant building can be seen along the walking trail behind the Gold Hill Sports Park.
The Marble Mountain Quarry site, located in the mountains south of Wilderville and west of Grants Pass, has been owned and operated as a limestone and calcite quarry since approximately 1917. Beaver Portland / Ideal Cement Company removed over 3.6 million tons of limestone, most of which was used in the Gold Hill Cement Plant from the early part of this century until
I am assuming the cement company no longer exists and haven't been able to confirm this yet.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 25, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. This page has been viewed 122 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 25, 2018, by Douglass Halvorsen of Klamath Falls, Oregon. • Andrew Ruppenstein was the editor who published this page.