Trinidad in Las Animas County, Colorado — The American Mountains (Southwest)
The Last Coal Burning Steam Engine
Engine 638 was manufactured in 1906 and put into service with the Colorado & Southern R.R. for service at Trinidad for hauling coal, cattle, agricultural products and general merchandise. Later the engine saw service in other areas of Colorado.
The last coal driven steam engine in service with the C & S, engine 638 was retired to this final location in a dedication ceremony that was held on February 10, 1963.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical year for this entry is 1906.
Location. 37° 10.108′ N, 104° 30.564′ W. Marker is in Trinidad, Colorado, in Las Animas County. Marker is on Purgatoire Drive west of North Animas Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is a large metal plaque mounted at waist-level on the barrier fence surrounding the locomotive, tender, car and caboose exhibit. Marker is located at the front end of the exhibit, directly in front of the locomotive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 638 Purgatoire Drive, Trinidad CO 81082, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Viet-Nam War Memorial (about 600 feet away, measured in World War II Veterans Memorial (about 600 feet away); Welcome to Colorado - Trinidad Country / Trinidad - Army of the West (about 600 feet away); A Clash of Cultures (about 700 feet away); The Coal Miner's Canary (about 800 feet away); Coal Miners' Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Santa Fe Trail (approx. 0.2 miles away); Trinidad's First City Building (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Trinidad.
Also see . . . Colorado & Southern Railroad's last coal burning steam engine- Engine #638.
Located north of City Hall on Animas Street in Trinidad sits the last coal driven steam engine in service for the C & S Railroad. Manufactured in 1906 for the Colorado and Southern Railroad for service in Trinidad, the engine remained in use until its retirement in 1963. Restoration on the train was completed in 2001. (Submitted on April 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 30, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 254 times since then and 69 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on April 27, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.