Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Orange in Orange County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site Of End Of The Line Station

 
 
<small>Site Of </small>End Of The Line Station Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
1. Site Of End Of The Line Station Marker
Inscription.  
The original charter for a rail line through the Orange area was granted to the Sabine and Galveston Railroad and Lumber Company in 1856. About the same time the New Orleans, Opelousas and Great Western Railroad Company was building a line west from the Mississippi River. The Louisiana Legislature later endorsed a plan to join Texas in the completion of the trade route between the states.

The two companies were reorganized as separate divisions of the Texas and New Orleans Railroad. The Texas division completed construction to this site before the Civil War. Since the rail line stopped at the Sabine River, the first depot in Orange was known as the End of the Line Station. Trains unloaded cargo here for transfer to riverboats and ocean freighters. Sections of the line remained in operation during the Civil War, but nearby rails were used to build Confederate fortifications at Sabine Pass (34 mi. SW).

The interstate route was completed in 1881 under the direction of Charles Morgan, a steamship line owner. The first station, damaged by an 1885 storm, was replaced by a larger facility with river loading docks. The Southern

<small>Site Of </small>End Of The Line Station Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
2. Site Of End Of The Line Station Marker
Pacific Railroad later took over the T. & N. O. Line.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 11478.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars.
 
Location. 30° 5.462′ N, 93° 43.858′ W. Marker is in Orange, Texas, in Orange County. Marker is on West Front Street near Second Street, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Orange TX 77630, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Old Niblett's Bluff, C.S.A. (here, next to this marker); John Harmon (here, next to this marker); Atakapan Indians of Orange County (here, next to this marker); Dr. William Hewson and Dr. David Caldwell Hewson (here, next to this marker); The Sawmill Industry in Orange County (here, next to this marker); Hugh Ochiltree (here, next to this marker); George Alexander Pattillo (here, next to this marker); The Orange Leader (here, next to this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Orange.
 
<small>Site Of </small>End Of The Line Station Marker image. Click for full size.
April 12, 2018
3. Site Of End Of The Line Station Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 147 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on April 27, 2018.
Paid Advertisement
Aug. 4, 2020