Yerington in Lyon County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Miller & Lux Ranch Pizen Switch Holdings
Inscription. In 1858 Henry Miller, known as the Cattle King of California, and Charles Lux, a fellow German with a keen business sense, formed one of the most successful partnerships in American history. The Miller & Lux Firm began buying up land and cattle throughout the west.
By the 1870’s, the partners owned more than 300,000 acres of land in California. In the next two decades, they further expanded their holdings, eventually crossing into Oregon and Nevada, where Miller began to buy ranches and brands. In the 1880’s they established the Pacific Livestock Company.
The beautiful open lands around Pizen Switch, later to be named Yerington, were no exception. The valley was perfect for ranching and Miller & Lux established the ranch headquarters one and a half miles west of Lux Lane on the south side of Miller Lane. Even though a fire in 1969 destroyed many of the buildings, some of the original buildings still remain today.
By the end of the 19th century the Miller and Lux Firm had become America’s largest integrated cattle and meatpacking enterprise, owning close to 1.3 million acres of land in California, Nevada, and Oregon.
Erected 2009 by Snowshoe Thompson Chapter #1827 E Clampus Vitus.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the E Clampus Vitus series list.
Location. 39° 5.421′ N, 119° 7.328′ W. Marker is in Yerington, Nevada, in Lyon County. Marker is on Lux Lane, on the right when traveling west. Take Miller Lane off of Hwy 95, turn left on Lux Lane. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Yerington NV 89447, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 16 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Wabuska (approx. 4.9 miles away); Yerington Grammar School #9 (approx. 7.3 miles away); Leavitt Building & Masonic Hall (approx. 7.4 miles away); Buckland's Station (approx. 15.7 miles away); Bucklands Station Famous Historical Point (approx. 15.7 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on May 2, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2018, by Frank Gunshow Sanchez of Hollister, California. This page has been viewed 133 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 2, 2018. 2. submitted on April 28, 2018. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.