Westwego in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Founded in 1870 and named 1873 by Texas-Pacific RR. Developer Pablo Sala subdivided adjacent land along banks of Company Canal in 1892 to create Salaville, where Cheniere Caminada survivors fled after 1893 Hurricane. Incorporated as village and as town in 1919 and as city in 1951. Attorney Conrad A. Buchler, first mayor, 1919-1921.
Erected 2011 by Westwego Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Railroads & Streetcars • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 29° 54.121′ N, 90° 9.134′ W. Marker is in Westwego, Louisiana, in Jefferson Parish. Marker is on Westbank Expressway (Business U.S. 90) west of Louisiana Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Westwego LA 70094, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Seven Oaks Plantation Site (approx. 1.6 miles away); Pops Stroman Memorial Park (approx. 1.6 miles away); Pops Park (approx. 1.7 miles away); Parish of JeffersonTrenasse Cutter (approx. 1.8 miles away); Swamp People (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Original Teddy Bear (approx. 1.8 miles away); The Flood of 1927 (approx. 1.8 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 28, 2018, by Cajun Scrambler of Assumption, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 210 times since then and 50 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 28, 2018.