Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Stony Point in Rockland County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Lighthouse at Stony Point

 
 
The Lighthouse at Stony Point Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2008
1. The Lighthouse at Stony Point Marker
Inscription.  
In the 19th century, improved navigational aids were required, as the number of commercial vessels increased. In 1825, the Erie Canal was opened, allowing ships to sail from the Great lakes to the Atlantic Ocean by way of the Hudson River, a tidal estuary as far north as Albany. The following year – 1826 – the United States Lighthouse Service built the Stony Point lighthouse to warn ships of the narrowing of Haverstraw Bay at the southern end of the Hudson Highlands.

Eight oil lamps and several metal reflectors provided this station’s first light. In 1856, a modified lamp with a fourth-order Fresnel lens was installed, and the following year a wooden tower was built to hold a bell rung by a clockwork device during foggy weather. In 1890, an improved fog bell was placed at the tip of the peninsula near the water.

From 1853 to 1905, members of a single family served as keepers of the Stony Point Light. In May 1853, Alexander Rose was appointed lightkeeper. His wife Nancy succeeded him upon his death, four years later. She died in 1902. Their daughter, Melinda, who lived most of her life at Stony Point, was the lightkeeper between
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
May 1904 and December 1905. In 1935, she wrote:

We were at the lighthouse fifty-three years; in all that time there were no deaths from accidents on the water. That speaks of faithful and conscientious service in keeping the old light burning and in ringing the warning bell in time of danger.

The lighthouse was decommissioned in 1926, and replaced by a modern navigational aid at the tip of the peninsula. In 1995, the Stony Point lighthouse – the oldest on the Hudson River – was restored and relighted.
 
Erected by Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Places. In addition, it is included in the Erie Canal, and the Lighthouses series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1853.
 
Location. 41° 14.475′ N, 73° 58.31′ W. Marker is in Stony Point, New York, in Rockland County. Marker is on Stony Point Park Road, on the right when traveling east. Marker is on the walking trail at the Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stony Point NY 10980, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Battle’s Aftermath (here, next to this marker); Commerce and the Hudson River (here, next to this marker); Opportunities Missed and Taken
Marker on the Stony Point Battlefield image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2008
2. Marker on the Stony Point Battlefield
Marker is the twelfth on the walking tour of the Stony Point Battlefield.
(within shouting distance of this marker); “The fort and garrison, with Col. Johnson, are ours.” (within shouting distance of this marker); “For God’s sake, why is the Artillery here not being made use of?” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); “… with the greatest Intrepidity and coolness.” (about 400 feet away); “… the enemy entered the upper work at the barrier at the same time I did.” (about 400 feet away); Stony Point Battlefield Today (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stony Point.
 
More about this marker. A picture in the upper middle of the marker has the caption “This late 19th-century photograph shows the second lightkeeper’s residence, built in 1879. It stood on the flat area below and south of the lighthouse. Collections of Stony Point Battlefield Historic Site.” Below this is a modern photograph of the present Stony Point Lighthouse. Photograph courtesy of Don Loprieno. A picture of lighthouses and Bell Towers of Stony Point is at the bottom of the marker, next to a map of the walking tour of the Stony Point Battlefield.
 
Related markers.
Stony Point Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2008
3. Stony Point Markers
Several markers are at this location. The Lighthouse marker is in the middle. Haverstraw Bay can be seen in the background of the photo.
Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. This series of markers follow the walking tour of the Stony Point Battlefield.
 
Also see . . .
1. Stony Point Battlefield State Historic Site. New York State Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation website entry (Submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 

2. Stony Point Lighthouse. Hudson Riverlights website entry (Submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Stony Point Lighthouse postcard, circa 1907? image. Click for full size.
via NYS Digital Collection, unknown
4. Stony Point Lighthouse postcard, circa 1907?
Stony Point Lighthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2008
5. Stony Point Lighthouse
This lighthouse, located in front of the marker, was built on the grounds of the Stony Point Battlefield in 1826 and guided vessels on the Hudson River for nearly one hundred years.
Lighthouses at Stony Point image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2008
6. Lighthouses at Stony Point
Pictures of lighthouses and Bell Towers at Stony Point from marker.
Map of Stony Point Battlefield Walking Tour image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, September 20, 2008
7. Map of Stony Point Battlefield Walking Tour
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,105 times since then and 30 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   4. submitted on August 24, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.   5, 6, 7. submitted on September 22, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=11693

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 18, 2024