Near Gulf Shores in Baldwin County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Post Hospital Complex
On February 28, 1899, the U.S. Army completed construction of the post Hospital for the garrison of Fort Morgan. At a cost of $7,500.00, the original structure consisted of a two story modern medical facility that was heated by mineral oil. Due to the continual increase of the quantity of men at the post, the structure was modified and expanded in March 1908. On January 22, 1919, the Post Hospital was completely destroyed by an out of control grease fire in the hospital's kitchen. With the costly financial loss of the structure's destruction and the substantial reduction in the quantity of soldiers in the Army after the end of WWI, the Army opted not to rebuild the Post Hospital and abandoned the site.
Completed on February 28, 1899 at a cost of $1,700.00, the Hospital Steward's Quarters was constructed from a standard U.S. Army plan utilized at Army posts across the country. The original plans included a front parlor, dining area, two bedrooms, a second story wash closet, a porch that wrapped around three sides of the house, and a detached kitchen directly behind the house which was accessed by the back porch. However, the
Erected by Fort Morgan State Historic Site.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Disasters • Forts or Castles.
Location. 30° 13.9′ N, 88° 0.871′ W. Marker is near Gulf Shores, Alabama, in Baldwin County. Marker can be reached from Fort Morgan Road (Alabama Route 180) 1.2 miles west of Dune Road, on the right when traveling west. Marker is located within the Fort Morgan State Historic Site, along the pedestrian walkway, directly in front of the Hospital Steward's Quarters exhibit. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 51 AL-180, Gulf Shores AL 36542, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. "Damn The Torpedoes!" The Campaigns for Mobile, 1864 - 1865 (within shouting distance of this marker); Here ends the Alabama Scenic River Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Peace Magazine (1902-1924) (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Battery Dearborn (1900-1924) (approx. 0.2 miles away); Officer’s Row (approx. ¼ mile away); The Battery Lincoln "The Shells Were Bursting All Around Us" (approx. 0.3 miles away); Colors of Significance: Historic Flags of Mobile Point (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Gulf Shores.
Also see . . .
1. The "Modern" Era at Fort Morgan. Beginning in 1895 the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers began construction of a new fortification system at Fort Morgan. Reinforced concrete batteries replaced the old brick fort as the main fortification protecting Mobile Bay. During time of war, electrically detonated under water mines protected the entrance to Mobile Bay. Between 1900 and 1923, Fort Morgan became the largest permanent military base in Alabama with a garrison of over four hundred Coast Artillery soldiers. Over one hundred structures were build by the U.S. Army Quartermaster Department to support the coast defense mission. (Submitted on April 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. Fort Morgan, Mobile Bay. No wooden structures from the Civil War era remain at Fort Morgan. The oldest building on site is the lighthouse keeper’s house, built in 1872. The five remaining wooden buildings on the site date to the beginning of the 20th century. (Submitted on April 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
3. Fort Morgan State Historic Site. Since 1834, Fort Morgan has stood as the guardian of Mobile Bay. The fort was active during four wars — the Civil War, the Spanish-American War and World Wars I and II. The fort is most famous for its role in the Civil War Battle of Mobile Bay. The 479-acre site contains concrete artillery batteries constructed between 1895 and 1904 and historic military buildings dating from 1899 to 1910. (Submitted on April 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 25, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 171 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 30, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.